IELTS 2022 Preparation Tips: Section-wise Tips, Study Material & Preparation Plan at Home
IELTS Preparation Tips: Before beginning with the IELTS preparation, it is important to learn the exact IELTS test format. After knowing about the IELTS test go through the content of the test and check, which type of questions, are asked in each of the sections. It is important to learn about the IELTS exam pattern and format before learning the IELTS preparation tips 2022. If you take the route of self-study to prepare for your IELTS exam, you need to study from the best books and resources for IELTS which are easily available. Since you will be working alone, you should make sure you are well-equipped for the preparation stage. In this article, we will inform you about the IELTS preparation tips section-wise. We will also inform you how to prepare for the IELTS exam at home.
You can also take the route of enrolling with a coaching centre for IELTS. The official British Council and IDP have their own official study guides and online preparation material. You can get in touch with the British Council for IELTS preparatory classes.
IELTS Study Material 2022
Refer to the following IELTS guides and preparation books to help create a study plan –
Road to IELTS: e-learning and online practice assessment – With over 100 hours of interactive activities, advice videos from British Council experts, hints and tips on question types as well as downloadable practice tests, it is an up-to-date online study material that is aimed precisely at the challenges candidates face.
The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS – This guide is packed with the advice you need to achieve your desired band in the IELTS exam. Practical and easy to use, it focuses on the language and skills you need to perform with confidence.
IELTS Preparation Strategies
Having an effective IELTS preparation strategy can give you an advantage over others. Understand the IELTS test pattern and frame your daily routine accordingly. Familiarize yourself with the questions and tasks of every section. Also, go through the IELTS rules and regulations. Then start practicing with IELTS sample questions, this will give you an idea about what to expect in the IELTS test. Also, after a while, learn where you stand and do a progress check. Take IELTS Practice tests with time and without the time and learn your strengths and weaknesses. You can get official IELTS practice material that will help you to give IELTS test experience with real IELTS questions.
5 Best Prep Tips to prepare for the IELTS Test
These tips will help you in improving the IELTS test score for IELTS Academic test. Also, preparation can be a fun activity, even watching television discussions and chatting with your friends can be part of your preparation list.
1. Improve Reading Skills
Develop a habit of reading and learn new words and try to use them in the appropriate sentences. Read English newspapers on daily basis and listen to English news. Sharpen your skills and develop an ability to search for details and make notes while reading. You need to manage the time limit, as you have to give answers in a limited time.
2. Enhance your Writing skills
Practice writing in a timely manner and work to improve your speed. By developing writing skills, you will learn to handle task 2 as it is longer and needs more time. Note down the new words and compose sentences using them. Analyse the task 2 question carefully and make sure that all parts of the question have been addressed. Work on your speed, so, you get time to review what you have written.
3. Work on Listening skills
You can watch English news on daily basis and write them later. Remember you can hear the recording only once, so, be attentive and develop your listening skills, so, you don’t need to pause the recording. Although if you want to listen to the tape again then listen to the script once more and note the useful expressions. You should know what exactly has been asked and check for the instructions.
4. Learn vocabulary
If you develop, reading skills make sure to learn new words and use them in the proper context. For this, you need to read a lot. Note down the new words and learn how to use them in appropriate sentences. Read editorials and different magazines, so, you get exposure to new words. You need to use new words repeatedly to make them part of your regular speech.
5. Learn the pronunciation and develop fluency
The listening section has been divided into three parts a short talk, a structured interview, and a free interview. Candidates will be asked about 2-3 brief concerns on familiar topics for 4 to 5 minutes. For this practice talking in English for a long time and focus on your pronunciation. Read and listen to different topics, so, you can learn about them and speak on different topics. Record yourself while speaking and learn your weaknesses and strengths
IELTS Section Wise Tips
IELTS test 2022 comprises four sections reading, writing, listening, and speaking. We have given preparation tips for every section to help you prepare for the IELTS exam.
1. IELTS Reading Test Tips
This section evaluates your reading skills. You need to read lengthy articles along with multiple-choice questions, short answers, matching information, and sentence completion. The Academic Writing test can be harder than the General Training test.
- If you are not able to solve a question, skip to another one. Come back later to finish it
- Carefully go through the graphs, images, or any figures while solving the questions. Focus on minor details
- Try to understand the passage questions carefully and find answers from the passage itself
- Use capital letters for answers
- Make sure you are to the point and grammatically correct
2. IELTS Writing Test Tips
The Writing section comprises of two subsections. Here, you need to write an essay expressing your point of view, describe a diagram, chart, or graph.
- Give a limited time to every task like 40 minutes for a lengthier task and 20 minutes for task 1
- Try to write at more than 150 words for the first task and more than 250 words for the second task
- Make sure you give a conclusion for task 2
- Avoid repeating words and phrases
- Avoid passive voice and use active voice
- Write to the point and avoid writing lengthy sentences
- Proofread before submitting
3. IELTS Listening Test Tips
The listening section evaluates how well you understand the language. It has four sections and includes 40 questions. Ensure your headphones are working properly, if not then inform the examiner and change them with a working one.
- Utilize the allotted time to read the questions before the recording starts
- Make notes on the question paper when listening to the recording
- Listen to the recording carefully and try to focus on the answers. The recording will be played only once
- Give answers within the word limit
- Use capital letters for all answers
- Proofread for grammar errors and spelling mistakes before submitting
4. IELTS Speaking Test Tips
In this section, you need to interact live with an examiner. This section analyses how well you spoke the English language. Here, you need to interact with the examiner, so, you need to be spontaneous. It is divided into three parts.
- Listen to the questions carefully and answer directly
- Try to speak slowly (so, the examiner can listen to you) and fluently
- Be confident while speaking
- Make sure your answers remain relevant
- Ask to repeat the question only if it is required
- Focus on the vocabulary you are using, grammar, and sentence structure
- Try not to take long pauses